Redefining Aging: A Caregiver's Guide to Living Your Best Life
Myth-busting insights that will empower family members to cope with the challenges and blessings of caregiving while aging successfully themselves.
Caring for an elderly family member can be overwhelming. But fulfilling life experiences are still possible for both caregivers and their loved ones, despite the stress and fatigue of caregiving.
In this comprehensive book, best-selling author Ann Kaiser Stearns explores the practical and personal challenges of both caregiving and successful aging. She couples findings from the latest research with powerful insights and problem-solving tips to help caregivers achieve the best life possible for those they care for--and for themselves as they age.
- Improving the quality of life for the one giving and the one receiving care
- Distinguishing normal aging from early warning signs
- Understanding caregiver sadness, resentment, guilt, and grief
- Using strategies and skills to minimize an impaired elder's distress and emotional outbursts and the caregiver's own anxieties about growing old
- Finding resources to aid in the care of the loved one and protect the caregiver from stress overload
- Moving forward after the death of a loved one to have a meaningful life of one's own
- Overcoming ageist stereotypes and deciding what kind of "old person" one will be
- Making life easier for those who someday will care for us
Redefining Aging will help readers think differently about caregiving and their own aging.
- Publisher: Johns Hopkins University Press
- Publish Date: Nov 15th, 2017
- Pages: 312
- Language: English
- Dimensions: 8.90in - 5.90in - 0.80in - 0.97lb
- EAN: 9781421423685
- Recommended age: 18-UP
- Categories: • General• Geriatrics• Public Health
About the Author