Last revised on: May 25, 2022
(applies to all users)
Part 2 Tertulia Co-op Membership Agreement
(applies to users who opt into the Co-op)
Part 1: Terms for All Service Users
The website located at www.tertulia.com and its companion mobile app (together known as the “Service”) is a copyrighted work belonging to Tertulia Inc. (“Company”, “us”, “our”, and “we”).
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT SECTION 9 OF THESE TERMS CONTAINS PROVISIONS GOVERNING HOW DISPUTES THAT YOU AND WE HAVE AGAINST EACH OTHER ARE RESOLVED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DISPUTES THAT AROSE OR WERE ASSERTED PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS. IN PARTICULAR, IT CONTAINS AN ARBITRATION AGREEMENT WHICH WILL, WITH LIMITED EXCEPTIONS, REQUIRE DISPUTES BETWEEN US TO BE SUBMITTED TO BINDING AND FINAL ARBITRATION. UNLESS YOU OPT OUT OF THE ARBITRATION AGREEMENT: (1) YOU WILL ONLY BE PERMITTED TO PURSUE DISPUTES OR CLAIMS AND SEEK RELIEF AGAINST US ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING; AND (2) YOU ARE WAIVING YOUR RIGHT TO PURSUE DISPUTES OR CLAIMS AND SEEK RELIEF IN A COURT OF LAW AND TO HAVE A JURY TRIAL.
1.1 Account Creation. In order to use certain features of the Service, you must register for an account (“Account”) and provide certain information about yourself as prompted by the account registration form. You represent and warrant that: (a) all required registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information. You may delete your Account at any time, for any reason, by following the instructions on the Service. Company may suspend or terminate your Account in accordance with Section 7.
1.2 Account Responsibilities. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account login information and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. You agree to immediately notify the Company of any unauthorized use, or suspected unauthorized use of your Account or any other breach of security. Company cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above requirements.
2. Access to the Service (website and app)
2.1 License. Subject to these Terms, Company grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, revocable, limited license to use and access the Service solely for your own personal, noncommercial use.
2.2 Certain Restrictions. The rights granted to you in these Terms are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Service, whether in whole or in part, or any content displayed on the Service; (b) you shall not modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Service; (c) you shall not access the Service in order to build a similar or competitive website, product, or service; and (d) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Service may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means. Unless otherwise indicated, any future release, update, or other addition to functionality of the Service shall be subject to these Terms. All copyright and other proprietary notices on the Service (or on any content displayed on the Service) must be retained on all copies thereof.
2.3 Modification. Company reserves the right, at any time, to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Service (in whole or in part) with or without notice to you. You agree that Company will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuation of the Service or any part thereof.
2.4 No Support or Maintenance. You acknowledge and agree that Company will have no obligation to provide you with any support or maintenance in connection with the Service.
2.5 Ownership. You acknowledge that all the intellectual property rights, including copyrights, patents, trade marks, and trade secrets, in the Service and its content are owned by Company or Company’s suppliers. Neither these Terms (nor your access to the Service) transfers to you or any third party any rights, title or interest in or to such intellectual property rights, except for the limited access rights expressly set forth in Section 2.1. Company and its suppliers reserve all rights not granted in these Terms. There are no implied licenses granted under these Terms.
2.6 Feedback. If you provide Company with any feedback or suggestions regarding the Service (“Feedback”), you hereby assign to Company all rights in such feedback and agree that Company shall have the right to use and fully exploit such Feedback and related information in any manner it deems appropriate. Company will treat any feedback you provide to Company as non-confidential and non-proprietary. You agree that you will not submit to Company any information or ideas that you consider to be confidential or proprietary.
3. Placing Orders for Goods
3.1 By placing an Order for Goods with the Company, you warrant that you are legally capable of entering into binding contracts.
3.2. Your Information
If you wish to place an Order for Goods available on the Service, You may be asked to supply certain information relevant to Your Order including, without limitation, Your name, Your email, Your phone number, Your credit card number, the expiration date of Your credit card, Your billing address, and Your shipping information. You represent and warrant that: (i) You have the legal right to use any credit or debit card(s) or other payment method(s) in connection with any Order; and that (ii) the information You supply to us is true, correct and complete. By submitting such information, You grant us the right to provide the information to payment processing third parties for purposes of facilitating the completion of Your Order.
3.3 Order Cancellation
We reserve the right to refuse or cancel Your Order at any time for certain reasons including but not limited to:
- Goods availability
- Errors in the description or prices for Goods
- Errors in Your Order
We reserve the right to refuse or cancel Your Order if fraud or an unauthorized or illegal transaction is suspected.
3.4 Your Order Cancellation Rights
Any Goods you purchase can only be returned in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. If You receive damaged or incorrect purchase from the company, You may return such Goods for a refund of the purchase price of the Goods plus any applicable taxes and shipping fees to your original form of payment so long as you notify the Company within fourteen (14) days of receipt of such Goods.
3.5 Subscriptions and Memberships
When you sign up for a subscription to Tertulia membership, You may be asked to opt-in to autorenewal. If you opt in to the subscription autorenewal, you will charged an annual fee for your subscription when your subscription or free trial ends. You warrant that you have consulted and understood the Service’s subscription and customer service policies.
3.5.1 Gifted Memberships and Trial Period Cancellation
When providing a Tertulia membership as a gift to a third party ("Recipient"), said Recipient will be entitled to all benefits and privileges associated with our membership program. However, should you, the gifting member, choose to cancel your own membership during the trial period, we reserve the right to concurrently terminate the membership of the Recipient.
3.6 Availability, Errors and Inaccuracies
We are constantly updating our offerings of goods on the Service. The Goods available may be mispriced, described inaccurately, or unavailable, and We may experience delays in updating information regarding our Goods and in Our advertising on other websites. We cannot and do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information, including prices, product images, specifications, availability, and services. We reserve the right to change or update information and to correct errors, inaccuracies, or omissions at any time without prior notice.
3.7 Prices Policy
The Company reserves the right to revise its prices at any time prior to accepting an Order.
All Goods and Subscriptions purchased are subject to a one-time payment. Payment can be made through various payment methods we have available, such as Visa or MasterCard. Payment cards (credit cards or debit cards) are subject to validation checks and authorization by Your card issuer. If we do not receive the required authorization, We will not be liable for any delay or non-delivery of Your Order.
You agree to indemnify and hold Company (and its officers, employees, and agents) harmless, including costs and attorneys’ fees, from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising out of (a) your use of the Service, (b) your violation of these Terms or (c) your violation of applicable laws or regulations. Company reserves the right, at your expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which you are required to indemnify us, and you agree to cooperate with our defense of these claims. You agree not to settle any matter without the prior written consent of Company. Company will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any such claim, action or proceeding upon becoming aware of it.
5.0 Third-Party Links & Ads; Other Users
5.1 Third-Party Links & Ads. The Service may contain links to third-party websites and services, and/or display advertisements for third parties (collectively, “Third-Party Links & Ads”). Such Third-Party Links & Ads are not under the control of Company, and Company is not responsible for any Third-Party Links & Ads. Company provides access to these Third-Party Links & Ads only as a convenience to you, and does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with respect to Third-Party Links & Ads. You use all Third-Party Links & Ads at your own risk, and should apply a suitable level of caution and discretion in doing so. When you click on any of the Third-Party Links & Ads, the applicable third party’s terms and policies apply, including the third party’s privacy and data gathering practices. You should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any transaction in connection with such Third-Party Links & Ads.
5.2 Other Users. Your interactions with other Service users are solely between you and such users. You agree that Company will not be responsible for any loss or damage incurred as the result of any such interactions. If there is a dispute between you and any Service user, we are under no obligation to become involved.
You hereby release and forever discharge the Company (and our officers, employees, agents, successors, and assigns) from, and hereby waive and relinquish, each and every past, present and future dispute, claim, controversy, demand, right, obligation, liability, action and cause of action of every kind and nature (including personal injuries, death, and property damage), that has arisen or arises directly or indirectly out of, or that relates directly or indirectly to, the Service (including any interactions with, or act or omission of, other Service users or any Third-Party Links & Ads). IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU HEREBY WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542 IN CONNECTION WITH THE FOREGOING, WHICH STATES: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR OR RELEASING PARTY DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR OR RELEASED PARTY.”
THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS-IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, AND COMPANY (AND OUR SUPPLIERS) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, ACCURACY, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE (AND OUR SUPPLIERS) MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS, OR WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL CODE, COMPLETE, LEGAL, OR SAFE. IF APPLICABLE LAW REQUIRES ANY WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF FIRST USE.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
7. Limitation on Liability
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL COMPANY (OR OUR SUPPLIERS) BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS, OR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICE, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ACCESS TO, AND USE OF, THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE OR COMPUTER SYSTEM, OR LOSS OF DATA RESULTING THEREFROM.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, OUR LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THESE TERMS (FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION), WILL AT ALL TIMES BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF FIFTY US DOLLARS (U.S. $50). THE EXISTENCE OF MORE THAN ONE CLAIM WILL NOT ENLARGE THIS LIMIT. YOU AGREE THAT OUR SUPPLIERS WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
8. Term and Termination.
Subject to this Section, these Terms will remain in full force and effect while you use the Service. We may suspend or terminate your rights to use the Service (including your Account) at any time for any reason at our sole discretion, including for any use of the Service in violation of these Terms. Upon termination of your rights under these Terms, your Account and right to access and use the Service will terminate immediately. Company will not have any liability whatsoever to you for any termination of your rights under these Terms, including for termination of your Account. Even after your rights under these Terms are terminated, the following provisions of these Terms will remain in effect: Sections 2.2 through 2.6 and Sections 3 through 8.
9.1 Changes. These Terms are subject to occasional revision, and if we make any substantial changes, we may notify you by sending you an e-mail to the last e-mail address you provided to us (if any), and/or by prominently posting notice of the changes on our Service. You are responsible for providing us with your most current e-mail address. In the event that the last e-mail address that you have provided us is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering to you the notice described above, our dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice of the changes described in the notice. Continued use of our Service following notice of such changes shall indicate your acknowledgement of such changes and agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of such changes.
9.2 Dispute Resolution.Please read this Section 8.2 (sometimes referred to herein as this “Arbitration Agreement”) carefully. It is part of your contract with Company and affects your rights. It contains procedures for MANDATORY BINDING ARBITRATION AND A CLASS ACTION WAIVER.
- Applicability of Arbitration Agreement. All claims and disputes (excluding claims for injunctive or other equitable relief as set forth below) in connection with these Terms or the use of any product or service provided by the Company that cannot be resolved informally or in small claims court shall be resolved by binding arbitration on an individual basis under the terms of this Arbitration Agreement. Unless otherwise agreed to, all arbitration proceedings shall be held in English. This Arbitration Agreement applies to you and the Company, and to any subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns, as well as all authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of services or goods provided under these Terms.
- Notice Requirement and Informal Dispute Resolution. Before either party may seek arbitration, the party must first send to the other party a written Notice of Dispute (“Notice”) describing the nature and basis of the claim or dispute, and the requested relief. A Notice to the Company should be sent to: 716 Rugby Rd., Brooklyn, New York 11230. After the Notice is received, you and the Company may attempt to resolve the claim or dispute informally. If you and the Company do not resolve the claim or dispute within thirty (30) days after the Notice is received, either party may begin an arbitration proceeding. The amount of any settlement offer made by any party may not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator has determined the amount of the award, if any, to which either party is entitled.
- Arbitration Rules. The Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Arbitration Agreement. The arbitration will be conducted by JAMS, an established alternative dispute resolution provider. Disputes involving claims, counterclaims, or request for relief under $250,000, not inclusive of attorneys’ fees and interest, shall be subject to JAMS’s most current version of the Streamlined Arbitration Rules and procedures available at http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-streamlined-arbitration/; all other disputes shall be subject to JAMS’s most current version of the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures, available at http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-comprehensive-arbitration/. JAMS’s rules are also available at www.jamsadr.com or by calling JAMS at 800-352-5267. If JAMS is not available to arbitrate, the parties will select an alternative arbitral forum. Each party shall bear its own costs (including attorney’s fees) and disbursements arising out of the arbitration and shall pay an equal share of the fees and costs of the ADR Provider.
You may choose to have the arbitration conducted by telephone, based on written submissions, or in person in the country where you live or at another mutually agreed location. Any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.
- Authority of Arbitrator. The arbitrator shall have exclusive authority to (i) determine the scope and enforceability of this Arbitration Agreement and (ii) resolve any dispute related to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability or formation of this Arbitration Agreement including, but not limited to, any assertion that all or any part of this Arbitration Agreement is void or voidable. The arbitration will decide the rights and liabilities, if any, of you and Company. The arbitration proceeding will not be consolidated with any other matters or joined with any other cases or parties. The arbitrator shall have the authority to grant motions dispositive of all or part of any claim. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award monetary damages and to grant any non-monetary remedy or relief available to an individual under applicable law, the arbitral forum’s rules, and these Terms (including the Arbitration Agreement). The arbitrator shall issue a written award and statement of decision describing the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, including the calculation of any damages awarded. The arbitrator has the same authority to award relief on an individual basis that a judge in a court of law would have. The award of the arbitrator is final and binding upon you and us.
- Waiver of Jury Trial. YOU AND COMPANY HEREBY WAIVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL AND STATUTORY RIGHTS TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A TRIAL IN FRONT OF A JUDGE OR A JURY. You and Company are instead electing that all disputes, claims, or requests for relief shall be resolved by arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement, except as specified in Section 8.2(a) (Applicability of Arbitration Agreement) above. An arbitrator can award on an individual basis the same damages and relief as a court and must follow these Terms as a court would. However, there is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is subject to very limited review.
- Waiver of Class or Other Non-Individualized Relief. ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND REQUESTS FOR RELIEF WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT MUST BE ARBITRATED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT ON A CLASS OR COLLECTIVE BASIS, ONLY INDIVIDUAL RELIEF IS AVAILABLE, AND CLAIMS OF MORE THAN ONE CUSTOMER OR USER CANNOT BE ARBITRATED OR CONSOLIDATED WITH THOSE OF ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OR USER. If a decision is issued stating that applicable law precludes enforcement of any of this section’s limitations as to a given dispute, claim, or request for relief, then such aspect must be severed from the arbitration and brought into the State or Federal Courts located in the State of New York. All other disputes, claims, or requests for relief shall be arbitrated.
- 30-Day Right to Opt Out. You have the right to opt out of the provisions of this Arbitration Agreement by sending written notice of your decision to opt out to: firstname.lastname@example.org, within thirty (30) days after first becoming subject to this Arbitration Agreement. Your notice must include your name and address, your Company username (if any), the email address you used to set up your Company account (if you have one), and an unequivocal statement that you want to opt out of this Arbitration Agreement. If you opt out of this Arbitration Agreement, all other parts of these Terms will continue to apply to you. Opting out of this Arbitration Agreement has no effect on any other arbitration agreements that you may currently have, or may enter in the future, with us.
- Severability. Except as provided in Section 8.2(f) (Waiver of Class or Other Non-Individualized Relief), if any part or parts of this Arbitration Agreement are found under the law to be invalid or unenforceable, then such specific part or parts shall be of no force and effect and shall be severed and the remainder of the Arbitration Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
- Survival of Agreement. This Arbitration Agreement will survive the termination of your relationship with Company.
- Modification. Notwithstanding any provision in these Terms to the contrary, we agree that if Company makes any future material change to this Arbitration Agreement, you may reject that change within thirty (30) days of such change becoming effective by writing Company at the following address: email@example.com.
- Export. The Service may be subject to U.S. export control laws and may be subject to export or import regulations in other countries. You agree not to export, reexport, or transfer, directly or indirectly, any U.S. technical data acquired from Company, or any products utilizing such data, in violation of the United States export laws or regulations.
- Disclosures. Company is located at the address in Section 8.8. If you are a California resident, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Product of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210.
- Electronic Communications. The communications between you and Company use electronic means, whether you use the Service or send us emails, or whether Company posts notices on the Service or communicates with you via email. For contractual purposes, you (a) consent to receive communications from Company in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that Company provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were be in a hardcopy writing. The foregoing does not affect your non-waivable rights.
- Entire Terms. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us regarding the use of the Service. Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms shall not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. The section titles in these Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. The word “including” means “including without limitation”. If any provision of these Terms is, for any reason, held to be invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions of these Terms will be unimpaired and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid and enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by law. Your relationship to Company is that of an independent contractor, and neither party is an agent or partner of the other. These Terms, and your rights and obligations herein, may not be assigned, subcontracted, delegated, or otherwise transferred by you without Company’s prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, delegation, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void. Company may freely assign these Terms. The terms and conditions set forth in these Terms shall be binding upon assignees.
- Contact Information:
Tertulia | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
716 Rugby Rd. Brooklyn, New York 11230
Part 2: Terms of Membership
By opting in to Tertulia Co-op Membership in the check-out process, you agree TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
Tertulia Co-op Reader Membership Agreement
This Reader Member Membership Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made effective on the date you (the “Reader Member” or “Member”) opt-in to become a member of Tertulia Coop, a Colorado limited cooperative association (the “Cooperative”).
- AGREEMENTS OF THE MEMBER. By opting to becoming a member, you:
- Understand that opting in to Co-op membership in the Tertulia app or website makes you eligible to become a member in the Cooperative.
- Understand that if the Cooperative adopts an annual membership fee, you may be required to make such payment in order to be considered in good standing and eligible to continue accruing benefits in the Cooperative.
- Agree to be bound by Tertulia Coop’s Bylaws (“Bylaws”) and the Articles of Organization (the “Articles”), and you are aware that you can request a copy of those Bylaws. As a member, you may also receive financial information about the Cooperative no more than once a year. You agree to keep all such information private and confidential.
- Understand that your membership is not transferable – so you cannot transfer it to another person; and is not redeemable, which means that you are not entitled to any reimbursement, should you decide to no longer be a member in the Cooperative.
- Understand that the benefits of your membership can be modified by the board of directors (“Board of Stewards”) and management of the Cooperative at any time, without prior notice; however, the Board may not eliminate your financial rights and terminate your membership if you are a member in good standing. In case of changes to your benefits, the Cooperative will make such information available through its website or app. Note: future potential financial distributions related to your coop shares cannot be taken away by the Board.
- Understand that your rewards and benefits of membership result from your book purchases or other future activities that qualify as patronage activity;
- These rewards and benefits may increase only in proportion to your purchase of books with Tertulia Inc. For example, if in a given year you make no purchases, you will not receive any rewards. If you purchase books, your rewards will be calculated in proportion to how many books you buy. We treat your book purchases as patronage activities, and your rewards are patronage rewards. You understand that the Cooperative reserves the right to modify the activities that constitute patronage activities for the purpose of patronage rewards.
- Per established coop tax law, these consumable rewards such as book merchandise credits are not taxable. However, we are not tax advisors and cannot provide tax advice, so you agree to consult an expert if you have questions and agree not to sue the Cooperative for your tax liabilities relating to this membership.
- If a future type of patronage reward is ever considered taxable for you, you understand that we will not be responsible for that tax liability and you agree to include the stated amounts into your tax return.
- Understand that in case of dissolution of the Cooperative, or other occasion for extraordinary dividends to be paid to Coop members, you may be entitled to some financial distributions that could result in a taxable event to you. You agree to consult your own attorneys and accountants should you require counsel.
- Understand that, as a Cooperative Member, you have no authority to represent the Cooperative in any way. For example, you cannot use the name of the Cooperative to obtain credit or property, or enter into contracts on behalf of the Cooperative.
- MANAGEMENT. The Cooperative’s Board of Stewards or an authorized representative or delegate will have all necessary powers and authority to administer and enforce the terms of this Membership Agreement, to the extent not inconsistent with the Bylaws.
- INDEMNIFICATION. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you will indemnify and hold the Cooperative harmless from any claim, loss or damage and expenses, including all costs and attorneys’ fees, resulting to Cooperative, directly or indirectly, from your inadequate performance of or failure to perform any of your obligations under this Agreement, including without limitation Member's obligations in relation to the Cooperative’s performance of the Services. You shall assume full responsibility for its employees, officers, agents and business invitees. You agree to indemnify and hold Cooperative harmless from and against any claim, loss, or damage, including all defense costs and attorneys’ fees, which may be asserted by any person arising out of any actions or omissions or claimed actions or omissions by You or your agents or business invitees, including, but not limited to third party actions for injury or death otherwise covered under applicable workers’ compensation laws, and regardless of any collateral or contributing factors on the part of anyone.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE COOPERATIVE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY AND BY ANY THEORY FOR CLAIMS, LOSSES, DAMAGES OR BREACHES ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH YOU OR A THIRD PARTY’S USE OF YOUR INFORMATION TO THE EXTENT OUTSIDE THE REASONABLE CONTROL OF THE COOPERATIVE. FURTHER, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE COOPERATIVE DISCLAIMS AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS, OR CLAIM, OR ANY DIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ARISING FROM OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH YOUR MEMBERSHIP IN THE COOPERATIVE, OR ANY OF ITS SERVICES OR THOSE OFFERED THROUGH THE COOPERATIVE BY THIRD PARTIES, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH CLAIMS OR DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COOPERATIVE’S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, CAUSES OR CAUSES OF ACTION (WHETHER SOUNDING IN TORT, CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM YOUR MEMBERSHIP IN THE COOPERATIVE EXCEED THE ANY REWARDS ALLOCATED TO YOU WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN YET PAID.
- MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS.
5.1 This Membership Agreement incorporates the Cooperative’s Articles of Organization, Bylaws, as may be amended from time, a copy of which is available upon request. In the event of a conflict between these documents, the Bylaws shall prevail. The term of this Membership Agreement shall be governed by the Bylaws’ provisions governing withdrawal and termination of membership.
5.2 The laws of the State of Colorado will govern this Membership Agreement, and venue for enforcement of this Agreement will be in New York City, New York.
5.3You and the Cooperative agree to submit and resolve any dispute arising out of this Membership Agreement, any other agreements between you and the Cooperative, to binding arbitration and WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO A JURY.