Teaching Basic, Advanced, and Academic Vocabulary: A Comprehensive Framework for Elementary Instruction (Carefully Curated Clusters of Tiered Vocabula
Construct a strong foundation for literacy development and academic achievement. Based on a robust analysis of high-frequency words, Dr. Robert J. Marzano identifies more than 8,000 basic, advanced, and academic vocabulary terms for grades K-5. The terms are organized into 444 semantic clusters, which have been carefully curated to provide a rich semantic context for students and aid their learning.
Use this resource to help students learn a tiered vocabulary and close the achievement gap in education.
- Understand the importance of students having strong foundational vocabulary and its effect on academic achievement.
- Learn the cluster approach to vocabulary instruction and how it helps students gradually learn the unique features of terms.
- Gain 420 word clusters specific to basic (tier one) and advanced (tier two) terms, and obtain a diagnostic assessment tool to identify where students fall on the cluster continuum.
- Discover how to utilize a six-step process when teaching academic (tier three) terms.
- Ascertain the benefit of having a coordinated schoolwide plan for vocabulary instruction, including early literacy development.
- Learn strategies for teaching students who require individualized assistance, such as students from poverty and English learners.
- Access an online vocabulary tool, as well as a student notebook designed to help learners track their progress with semantic clusters.
Introduction: The Importance of Vocabulary Knowledge
Chapter 1: Teaching and Reinforcing Tier One and Tier Two Terms as a Schoolwide Effort
Chapter 2: Tier One and Tier Two Terms for Individual Students
Chapter 3: Teaching Tier Three Terms
Appendix B: Hardcopy Diagnostic Assessment
References and Resources
- Publisher: Marzano Resources
- Publish Date: Mar 13rd, 2020
- Pages: 256
- Language: English
- Dimensions: 10.90in - 8.50in - 1.00in - 1.85lb
- EAN: 9781943360338
- Categories: • Schools - Levels - Elementary• Language Experience Approach• Multicultural Education